Ageing is driven by damage to your genetic code. This damage comes from a whole range of things including the environment.
“Environmental factors that speed skin ageing include sunlight (UV) and smoking, both of which directly damage your genetic code. Unfortunately, our genetic code does not like oxygen, which is a bit of a problem as we need oxygen to survive.
Our cells try to keep oxygen away from our genetic code but sometimes a type of oxygen called a free radical gets through and when it touches DNA it damages our code. When this happens a lot, it can drive inflammation and redness.
Antioxidants help us by reducing the chances of getting this type of damage and subsequently can reduce this redness. The Ellus & Krue EPI - gN™ Serum has potent antioxidants in its formulation that seek to protect your skin and genetic code.” says Professor Derek Richard, Ellus & Krue partner.
There are three main factors that influence how fast you age. By putting a few preventative measures in place you can protect your skin from harmful forces and maintain your youthful glow for longer. Consider avoiding your exposure to these three harmful factors.
1. UV Radiation
UV radiation in sunlight is the main cause of premature skin ageing and the appearance of wrinkles and dark spots. Always take care whenever you're out in the sun and use products with the right sun protection for your skin type. Skincare with high SPF can protect your skin from harmful UV rays, sunburn and free radicals.
Alcohol forces your kidneys to work overtime. This flushes out excess water and leaves your organs parched. Drinking excessive amounts of alcohol will dehydrate your body – and your skin. Dehydrated skin is more prone to wrinkle and can cause premature ageing. Alcohol also strips your body of vitamin A – a crucial antioxidant for healthy cell activity and renewal.
Smoking causes premature ageing by prompting fine lines to appear around your eyes and lips. These fine lines appear partly because of a lack of vitamin C in the blood. Vitamin C is a key ingredient for the production of collagen, which is responsible for the elasticity in youthful and healthy skin. On average, smokers have 60% less vitamin C in their blood in comparison to non-smokers, and fine lines around the eyes and lips can appear 10-15 years earlier on smokers than on non-smokers.
Formulated in collaboration with Professor Derek Richard, the EPI-gN™ Serum is a powerhouse of antioxidants that deeply penetrate and support cell renewal to assist skin barrier repair and help reduce the signs of ageing. The serum works to:
- Reduces fine lines and wrinkles
- Antioxidant hydration & repair
- Calms redness
- Ideal for prematurely aged and sensitive skin
EPI-gN™ Serum Active Ingredients:
- Galega Officinalis: Powerful antioxidant and plant active rich in phenolic compounds that neutralise free radicals and oxidative stress leaving skin deeply hydrated and glowing
- Niacinamide: Vitamin B3, improves moisturisation, repairs skin barrier function and decreases the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Curcumin: Protective antioxidant plant active that helps increase skin elasticity and decrease pigmentation in UV damaged skin
- Hyaluronic Acid: Increases the presence of retinoic acid, which is a hydration booster that helps reduce the appearance of skin ageing
- Undaria Pinnatifida: Antioxidant plant active with skin smoothing and skin protection properties
- Naringenin: Bioflavonoid antioxidant that helps inhibit UVB‐induced wrinkles and moisture loss
- Peptides: Linked amino acids that penetrate the lipid matrix to help repair the collagen network and UV aged skin
EPI-gN™ Serum is available online at ellusandkrue.com.au