Skin Intel – Interview with Hair & Makeup Extraordinaire - Chris Arai
With a background in fine arts, Chris Arai perfected her skills in the bright lights of Hollywood and over the years her work has been featured in the world’s leading fashion magazines. Pre COVID, you could find Chris in New York, Milan and Paris collaborating with some of the world’s largest fashion houses including Dolce & Gabbana, Prada and Chanel. These days you can find her working her magic in Sydney between the lockdowns.
What is beauty to you?
To me beauty is confidence, strength, affirmation, acceptance, and love. It's also a collection of the things that make you feel good.
Is there a person or thing in your life that makes you feel more confident? If so, what was it specifically that made you feel that way?
A person that makes me feel more confident is my daughter, she is always inspiring and encouraging me. Having happy skin is really important too, using products like Ellus & Krue which are good for the planet, but also care for my skin, make it happy and give me great results is 100% self confidence to me. I also think it’s about having unwavering trust in yourself and your abilities at all times.
What is your favourite thing about using Ellus & Krue products on your models?
When I apply Ellus & Krue products on my models, they always ask me, "what's that?'' with a smile on their face. They can't believe it's cruelty-free, vegan-friendly, environmentally friendly and Australian.
Where do you get your inspiration from?
I get my inspiration from all of my new and old personal experiences of traveling the world and connecting with different people. I’ve met some truly inspirational people in my travels and have been fortunate to work on fashion weeks in London, New York and Paris.
What’s your go-to for a quick pick-me-up?
It would have to be a beauty product! My little cheat is to grab a colour control cream that refreshes my face and gives me a lovely glow.
If you could only have one skincare product with you during lockdown what would it be?
That’s easy - the Ellus & Krue EPI-gN™ Serum because it's my holy grail multitasker. It’s just so hydrating and really calms and evens skin tone, it’s my go to!
What are your three makeup do’s and don'ts?
- DO prep your skin. I recommend the Ellus & Krue cleanser, toner and day cream, they are perfect for skin prep and in fact the Hydrating Day Defence is actually the perfect base for whatever makeup magic you’re about to create.
- DO wear SPF every day. This is a must, especially for us here in Australia, it’s so important to wear sunscreen every day, even when it’s overcast.
- DO find your perfect foundation to match your skin texture, and skin tone.
- DON’T sleep with makeup on. Set the time aside to wash your face, make it a ritual of self care before bed and also apply a night cream to keep your skin hydrated whilst you sleep.
- DON’T apply makeup to a dirty face. You need a fresh clean base and also minimises the chance to clog pores by putting makeup on top of grease or dirt.
- DON’T use dirty brushes, sponges to apply your makeup. Keep your brushes and tools nice and clean.
What is your favourite E&K product and why?
I love it because it has a powerful combination of active ingredients to refine, repair & revitalize ageing skin. And it smells amazing!